Toothache is excruciating and easily ruins your perfect day. The pain and swelling prevent you from talking, eating, and drinking. The main reasons for toothache are dental abscess, cavities or tooth decay, dental trauma, and gum disease. In this article, we are going to talk about how to manage and prevent emergency toothache and some oral hygiene protocol you need to follow to get healthy teeth and gum.
The simple, quick fix to alleviate emergency toothaches
- Keep your head elevated
- Apply cold compression at the pain area
- Please keep your head on high during sleep
- Use a soft-bristle brush; Brush your teeth with soft strokes
- If your tooth is getting out of gum or knocked out, then you must rinse it and replace it gently with a socket
- Do not smoke at all
- Don’t eat hard food like candies, dry fruits, popcorn
If you see your pain worsen over time, seek immediate medical help. In this situation, a professional dentist will help you better with appropriate treatment.
Home remedies to heal toothache
One of the easiest approaches to get relief from tooth pain is to take over-the-counter painkillers. NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen are mild pain relievers that can do wonders to decrease the discomfort and inflammation coming from gum infection.
Oil of cloves
Clove oil has antibacterial properties. Rub the oil to the infected area to get relief from tooth pain
Over-the-counter oral ointment
Oral ointment relieves you from toothaches. It is easily available at the local pharmacy, but remember, it is temporary. If pain persists, seek medical help.
The ice pack is an easily available but effective solution to alleviate swelling and pain. It quickly numbs the affected area. This method is a quick fix if swelling develops on your face due to a tooth infection.
A salt solution made up of warm water effectively reduces tooth pain. Saltwater has antibacterial properties, it soothes inflammation.
Baking soda is easily found in our kitchen, and it has antibacterial properties. Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with water, make a thick paste and apply at the painful area to instantly relieve pain.
Oral hygiene protocol to avoid toothache & other complications
If you want to avoid toothache, you need to follow the basic hygiene of oral health. Oral hygiene is very important for your gums and teeth. Poor oral hygiene can affect your overall health, and it may even cause risk factors such as diabetes and heart attack. There are some oral hygiene instructions you need to follow:
- Regular brushing is important; brush a minimum of twice a day for 2 minutes each time. Brushing removes plaque and food particles from the tooth surface, which causes infection. Food particles form plaque that houses bacteria, which converts food sugar into acid, which damages teeth. It causes the cavity by affecting the tooth enamel.
- Flossing followed by brushing cleanses the gaps between your teeth. You may use interdental brushes, floss picks, or water flossers. Flossing and brushing effectively remove food particles and plaque from the teeth surface.
- Use fluoride-containing mouthwash and toothpaste
- Go to your dentist for a checkup twice a year
- Maintain dentist’s treatment protocol to keep your gum and teeth healthy
- Refrain from bad habits like smoking tobacco which is pernicious for your gum.
Remember, healthy gums and teeth make you feel better. It enhances your confidence through a dazzling smile. Thus doctors are now focusing on cosmetic or aesthetic dentistry.
The dentist always asks to avoid sugary food items and carbonated drinks as they are acidic and easily attached to the teeth surface. Oral bacteria easily transform them to harmful acid, which causes tartar, and extensive tooth decay, eventually causing pain.
If you are suffering from chronic tooth pain, come to the Med art clinic; the best dental in Dubai supervises our dental department. They offer dental treatment with reasonable packages. Get the best treatment without spending a lot.